Some business expenses are more fun than others…I mean even updating my camera equipment makes my photography dork heart sing, but going shopping for shoes and dresses for any reason is pretty much more fun than anything! So, when wedding season started to pick up this Spring and I realized all my wedding shooting dresses (and shoes) were about 3 years old and starting to show some wear, I knew I needed to update my shooting wardrobe asap! I needed a new crop of stylish but functional dresses to choose from on any given wedding day, from hot and sweltering days to frigid winter days and everything in between. They need to work with some pretty flats and accessories. And also work well with cute boots and cardigan in the winter. They need to be as comfortable as can be. They need to be simple yet sophisticated. And after looking around for a few weeks, I think I have officially replenished my shooting wardrobe and I am good to go for at least the next season or so of weddings! But, now, I’m pretty sure I need to be cut off from shopping, even if it IS for work!
Here are my current picks (with links below included for those that have been asking me where I get dresses for shooting):
1. Scalloped Shift Dress in Black (J.Crew Factory) – I am a sucker for simple dresses with unique details! And these are on super sale right now!!!
2. Scalloped Shift Dress in Deep Violet (J.Crew Factory) – Not sure why this color is called violet, but is a pretty royal blue.
3. Marabelle Short Sleeve Drop Waist Dress (Gilt) - Shockingly, this is STILL available! If you love having the option of a dress with sleeves, this is for you! Love how easy it is to throw on and how it can be dressed up in so many different ways.
4. The Anywhere Dress in True Black (Madewell) – Obsesseddddd with these dresses! They fit beautifully and look great on their own or with a little belt, some jewelry, or a cardigan. They also feel so well made (no pun intended!) and durable to last through a lot of wedding wear and tear!
5. The Anywhere Dress in Warm Bluegrass (Madewell) - Such a pretty green color!
So, if you are looking for some cute work appropriate (and obviously wedding appropriate when dressed up with jewelry and accessories) dresses to buy right this second, scope these out! If you are just wondering where to look in general and don’t know where to start, my go-to spots for shooting dresses are the following: J.Crew, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Nordstrom, and often on Gilt! (Sidenote: Gilt is great for finding fun accessories too!) I also randomly picked up a couple Calvin Klein dresses on Zappos, of all places! One with lovely gold hardware and another polka dotted dress. (They are no longer available and I couldn’t find photos online.) All in all, I’ve come away with 7 new shooting dresses and paired with a couple new cardigans (they take such a beating stuffed in gear bags and thrown around wedding to wedding) and a few new pairs of shooting shoes, I am set!!! Whew!