Okay, I know I usually do a blog post revisiting my goals from the past year and assessing my success, but I have to admit that I took a look at my 2016 list and it turns out I was a big fat failure. Okay, well, not a total failure. Business was great! I got to work with amazing couples in amazing places with amazing people. And life in general was pretty great too! I lived it! And that’s saying A LOT. I made sure to block out time for myself and my family. I said no to things. I gave myself reasonable deadlines. I worked a little harder at maintaining some balance in my life. I lived in the moment. Each wedding. Each session. Each meeting. Each date night. Each day spent with my family and my out-of-office reply on. I focused on the present in both my work and my home life. Much more than I ever have in the past! So, I don’t know, I didn’t accomplish a lot of my lofty goals for the year, but I did some pretty fantastic things regardless. And I think I got a whole lot better at this work life balance thing! So, it might look like a failure on paper, but in real life, it felt pretty damn successful! (However, that means my 2017 list looks a heck of a lot like my 2016 list!)
(Image by Genevieve)
So, here is what I’m hoping to check off my list in the new year! With lots more living in the moment in the in between!
On the business front:
- Do things that intimidate me. Jump in more.
- Listen to more Podcasts + Read more Books!
- Plan an inspiration trip (and shoots) somewhere new! (If you follow me on Instagram, you know I’ve already got one in the works!)
- Be more timely with submitting work.
- Book a wedding in a new international destination! (Dying to get back to France and Italy! Have camera, will travel!)
- More print features! (Because I can never have enough, ha.)
- Follow through with a brand refresh!
- Relaunch the website + blog.
- Hit 3K+ Instagram followers.
- Design a new client guide.
- Update contracts.
- Work on creating a more lasting experience for clients. (I’m always wanting to give my clients more and more…of my time, my energy, their photos, their products, surprises, you name it. I think streamlining this into my workflow would make it a lot easier and more impactful.)
- Update Facebook Albums + Graphics.
On the home front:
- Purge, Purge, Purge. (Especially toys!)
- Cook 1-2 home cooked meals a week. (Starting small here.)
- Less booze, more water! (It was a miracle I pulled off a month of it this winter, because I’m finding it harder and harder to stay strong on this!)
- Less Starbucks, more at-home Nespresso. (Such a senseless waste of money.)
- Book a trip with my love, even if it is a just a long weekend. (Or Iceland. Iceland would be good too.)
- Figure out some sort of organized storage situation for all my beauty products. (It’s getting out of control!)
- Maybeeee start planning for a second kid. I said maybe! (We are going through some life changes with the spouse starting a new job, so we have to find our footing first, but eventually we should get to that second kid.)
- Get our upstairs painted!!
- Replace our dining room artwork.
- Give our pups more love.
- Pay off debt + start saving.
- Spend less on things, more on experiences.
- Start exploring school options for the kid. (Because from what I have been told, it’s like a part time job to figure all that stuff out.)
- Talk less. Listen more. Ask questions.
- Waste less. Consume less.
What do YOU want out of the new year? What intentions have you set? What do you want to focus on?